Saturday, February 24, 2007

I got your Process right here

I have been asked by several people to show my process of how I work. My process changes a little depending on the type of job that I am working on. So this is the first example of a process that I have used.




I start out with a sketch. It does not matter to me if I am working on an illustration, logo, direct-mail piece that needs a lot of graphic design, or a snowglobe. I always start with a sketch or thumbnail.





In this particular piece a did color comp that was just a corner. I usually color comp the entire piece for clarity of how to approach the color in the final illustration. However in this particulr piece the client asked that I only do a corner to save time. Not going to argue, they are paying the bills. I digress.





If the sketch is approved I move onto to final pencil sketch. At this point I have worked out all the details and composition problems. Now I have a pretty good idea of color pallette I'm going to use.






I have collected a little reference to help out in the sublty of color for some if not all the elements in the illustration. This particular illustration was for a t-shirt, so I had to consider the color of the shirt when I was thinking about the color pallette for the piece. To finish the piece I threw some type in there. I tried to use something that was blocky enough to read from a distance but still had an island feel. Who better to use than the Tiki fonts from House. Illustration done, client happy, moved on to next project.

No comments: